I was pleasantly surprised, yesterday, to be selected as a recipient of the Liebster Award, courtesy of Thays over at Silly Crazy Love. I’d never heard of the award. Fortunately Lorraine, over at Wording Well, offers a comprehensive summary of the Liebster Award, its premise, and rules. Basically, it encourages more successful bloggers to bring attention to the lesser known blogs they love. It’s a great way for like-minded bloggers to get to know one another, and helps drive more traffic to the lesser-known blogger’s website.
11 Facts About Yours Truly
1. I have two tattoos, a cat (aka, my “cattoo”) on my left forearm, and a heart on my ankle.
2. I’ve met Gavin DeGraw four times. (Shout out to my best friend Allison for making this one of our many traditions!)
3. In 2011, Jesse and I dressed up as Paulie Bleeker and Juno, from 2007’s Juno. We literally got into our costumes just to have this picture taken. We opted to spend our night in, instead.
4. I visited El Salvador in 2010 as part of my social responsibility class. It’s the only non-US country I’ve visited, besides Canada. To see what life is like in a different country put my problems into perspective and helped me see the value of living a socially responsible life.
5. I went on an Alaskan Cruise with my mom in 2011. It was her gift to me after I graduated college
6. Zoos are my favorite past time. I’ve been to a zoo with every guy I’ve dated, including my husband.
7. I am phobic of needles and balloons (I’m especially phobic of these two objects together).
8. I’ve recently become obsessed with How I Met Your Mother. (Speaking of, please check out the HIMYM: Ted playlist on Songza. It’s amazing.)
9. I’ve worked for H&M for six-and-a-half years.
10. My hero, outside of my family and friends, is Neil deGrasse Tyson. I love how he makes complex scientific facts and theories accessible to the masses. And he just seems like a really cool dude. I’d put him on one of those “if you could spend one evening talking with any person, living or dead, who would you choose?” lists.
11. I have a terrible memory. The only way I can recall specific moments is by taking pictures. That’s why I opted to include photos with some of my facts.
10 Questions, courtesy of Thays
1. Where do you see yourself in 4 years?
Living in or outside Columbus, OH with my husband. Two cats, no kids, taking one or more vacations a year, living modestly, actively practicing yoga. Hopefully Hopefully by then I’ll have discovered what it is I want to be when I “grow up.”
2. What is your favorite thing to do?
Dance. Nothing fancy. I just love moving my body along to the beat of a song.
3. What are your dreams?
To create several well-received creative writing pieces (poems, short stories, novels); to teach Jazzercise; to travel the world; and to be a great daughter, wife, and friend.
4. Why did you start blogging?
I had been depressed for about a year. I thought blogging would be a good way for me to pull myself out of my cycle of negativity (and inactivity). In many ways, it has contributed to positive changes, professionally and emotionally, in my life.
5. What is one thing that always makes you happy?
My cat, Mahogany (Mo, or Moses, for short).
6. What is one great [piece of] advice you have?
Live for yourself. Do what’s going to help you become your happiest and purest self. Sometimes that means saying no and hurting the feelings of others. Pain and heartbreak are a natural part of existing. And don’t dwell on the things you regret. Always move forward, and view your regrets as opportunities to learn how to become a better version of yourself.
7. What do you wish you were doing right now?
Spending time with my mom, gossiping with my best friend, or eating at a new restaurant with my husband.
8. What is one place you wish you could go to?
9. What do you wish you could have changed in your life?
Even though I try to live my life regret-free, there are certainly situations I wish I could change. As far as something I had control over, I wish I would have been more disciplined about applying to jobs when Jesse and I first moved to Nashville. Sometimes I think I would have found happiness here more quickly had I been offered a job in one of my academic concentrations. However, I’ve become more entrepreneurial-minded as a result, and I’ve had more time to explore some of my creative impulses.
10. What is your favorite thing in this world, and why?
My bed, because it means I’m fortunate enough to have a roof over my head; a comfortable, warm, and secure place to sleep; and a place where my thoughts and imagination have no limits.
I have chosen to forgo making my own Liebster Award nominations. However, here are a few of my favorites:
1. Chelsea, The New Wifestyle (Mature advice about love and life, often delivered in an amusing way.)
2. Amanda, Notes from a Newlywed (While the content of Amanda’s blog is great, I secretly love visiting her site because she’s as obsessed with cats as I am.)
3. Alecia, Vegetarian and Cooking (A friend, and sorority sister, from college. I’m not meat’s biggest fan so I browse her site frequently for vegetarian meal ideas.)
4. Chungah, Damn Delicious (Yummy and simple recipes. One of the only food blogs I’ve visited where the recipe directions are nearly flawless.)
I’ve found the blogging community to be very kind and encouraging. So, thanks again, Thays, for letting me know that my blog brings a little happiness to your day. And I hope you all enjoyed learning a little bit more about me!
Song of the Day
And now, for an amazing song I discovered while listening to the HIMYM: Ted playlist on Songza. Bad for Business by Vinnie Ferra. It in no way matches the tone of this post, but it’s just so beautiful. (Songs in minor keys are my Achilles heel.)
Ask the Audience
1. If you’re a blogger: What’s the most rewarding part of blogging? If you actively follow blogs, but don’t blog yourself: What types of blogs do you enjoy and why?
2. If you could spend one evening talking to any person, alive or dead, who would you choose?
3. What’s one of your fondest memories?